The Dallas Cowboys have a lot of catching up to do with the Philadelphia Eagles, but they’re doing an excellent job of bouncing back from a tough beginning of the season. They are now 5-3 going into Sunday’s game against the 4-4 Atlanta Falcons. Their game will begin at 4:25 p.m. ET on FOX (live streaming via Fox Sports GO).
For Dallas, the big news is that, at the time of writing, running back Ezekiel Elliott will be unable to play due to his suspension stemming from a domestic violence incident. Elliott has been in a battle with the NFL over the suspension all season, and successfully delayed it for weeks, but it appears now that he will finally serve it.
That means the Cowboys will roll with Alfred Morris as the starting back against the Falcons. Morris has 14 carries for 116 yards on the season, while Elliott has carried the ball 191 times for 783 yards and seven touchdowns. Second-year quarterback Dak Prescott is second on the team with 195 rushing yards and four rushing touchdowns.
When it comes to the running game, the Falcons have been pretty good this year, so it could be an interesting battle on the ground. The Falcons have rushed for 916 yards and six touchdowns as a team, while allowing opponents to also rush for the exact same yardage and four touchdowns over the course of eight games.
Dallas has won three consecutive games, though two of those wins were over Washington and the San Francisco 49ers, bad teams that offered little in the way of resistance. The win over the Kansas City Chiefs in their last outing might have been their best of the year, and they enter a stretch of games that includes the rival Eagles after their game against Atlanta.
The Falcons won their first three games of the season, dropped their next three, and have gone 1-1 over their last two. The last game they played was a demoralizing 20-17 affair against the rival Carolina Panthers.
Below is all you need to know to watch Sunday’s game, as well as news, odds, prediction, and more.
How to watch Dallas vs. Atlanta
- Time: 4:25 p.m. ET
- Location: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, Ga.
- TV: FOX
- Streaming: Fox Sports GO
- Odds: The Falcons opened as three-point favorites.
Cowboys vs. Falcons news:
- As noted above, the emergency motion filed by Elliott was denied, and his suspension is back on. He was granted an expedited appeal, but it will still take some time to be heard.
- Cowboys left tackle Tyron Smithis questionable for Sunday’s game after he left the Chiefs game with an injury. If he can’t go, then Chaz Green will likely start at left tackle. The Cowboys will also definitely have Dez Bryant in the lineup despite his own injuries.
- In addition to things on the field, the Cowboys are also dealing with owner Jerry Jones and his ongoing battle with Roger Goodell and his potential contract extension. It likely isn’t affecting the team on the field, but it is worth noting.
- And, of course, the primary NFL owner that Jones is accusing of misleading the other owners about Goodell’s contract is… Falcons owner Arthur Blank.
- Alfred Morris has consistently been considered a one-hit wonder, a player who looked great for a season and then fell off the radar. With Elliott’s suspension, the folks at Blogging The Boys think it’s a great opportunity for him to resurrect his career.
- The biggest injury concern for the Falcons is kicker Matt Bryant. He is dealing with an injury and his status for Sunday was in doubt, but he’s confirmed to be in action against the Cowboys.
Cowboys vs. Falcons prediction:
Of the eight SB Nation experts picking for Week 10, five of them, plus the OddsShark Computer, think the Cowboys will take the win. That leaves three who believe the Falcons can get out with a win on Sunday.